The Australian public showed up in droves last night, Rod Laver Arena transforming itself into an arena fit for two musical legends. Die-hard John Farnham fans welcomed one of Australia’s favourite sons to the stage and within seconds the crowd were up and singing along to a plethora of Farnham hits; Age of Reason, Reasons, Hearts on Fire, Every time You Cry, Simple Life …. So in tune, at age 64, John Farnham showed why Rod Laver was his arena and that there were no signs of him ever slowing down.
A great set of lungs – Farnham continued to please the Melbourne crowd with a series of tracks from the Whispering Jack album and accepting flowers from a tonne of female admirers, shaking hands with fans from all ages and all walks of life. Farnsey introduced his band as the familiar sounding harmonica kicked off his next round of hits Chain Reaction, A Touch of Paradise, Talk of the Town and Pressure Down which by the sound of the noise inside the stadium – a crowd favourite. With only minutes left on stage, fans were left wondering which of the Farnham’s hits were next and before long Johnny closed his set with That’s Freedom and the massive hit You’re The Voice triggering an avalanche of sound. The Melbourne crowd rose as one – they sang and they danced. Backstage, Lionel Richie warmed up his vocals but for Farnham there was room left for one more song, It’s A Long Way To The Top (If You Want To Rock n Roll) or in Johnny’s words… ‘It’s a long way to the shop, if you want a sausage roll’.
After a brief intermission, Lionel Richie took to the stage mixing up his set with a series of popular ballads, all the hits and more kicking it off with Just For You, Penny Lover and a Easy/My Love mashup. The crowd enjoyed an original arrangement of Ballerina Girl followed by feel good favourite You Are The Sun, You Are The Rain… Truly followed, as the crowd exchanged ballads for disco and were soon up and Running With The Night, Richie singing an array of Commodores favourites transforming Rod Laver Arena into a 1970’s disco.
Lionel took the time between tracks to connect with fans speaking personally about his musical journey, his family and his father. His father responsible for the global smash Three Times A Lady, the audience swooned as they were treated to the famous Diana Ross duet Endless Love, Say You Say Me and Hello, Richie doing what he does best on piano. As the night drew to a close, the crowd were up and Dancing On The Ceiling followed by disco favourite All Night Long. There was one last track, Lionel leaving the stage returning a minute later donning a white suit jacket, lights dimmed as an image of the world took over the big screen as the crowd joined Lionel Richie for a stirring rendition of We Are The World. A fitting end to a perfect night. Both Farnham and Richie delivered a stunning set, classic show-men in their own right – a night the Melbourne public will remember for years to come.
Lionel Richie is extending his successful All the Hits All Night Long Tour for another run of shows across the U.S.
Richie has taken full advantage of the resurgence of his career since the release of 2012’s Tuskegee which became his first number 1 album in 26 years. Filled with duets on his greatest hits with country artists, the album exposed his music to a whole new audience.
Opening for Richie on the tour will be The Voice judge Cee Lo Green. Tickets go on sale on Friday, February 21, Saturday, February 22 or Saturday, February 29 with Citi cardmembers able to get advanced tickets on February 14.
- 05/29 – Vancouver, BC – Pepsi Live At Rogers Arena
- 05/30 – Seattle, WA – KeyArena
- 06/01 – Concord, CA – Concord Pavilion
- 06/03 – Anaheim, CA – Honda Center
- 06/06 – Las Vegas, NV – Mandalay Bay Events Center
- 06/07 – Chula Vista, CA – Sleep Train Amphitheatre
- 06/08 – Phoenix, AZ – Ak-Chin Pavilion
- 06/10 – Salt Lake City, UT – USANA Amphitheatre
- 06/11 – Denver, CO – Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 06/15 – Chicago, IL – First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
- 06/17 – Louisville, KY – KFC Yum! Center
- 06/18 – Memphis, TN – FedEx Forum
- 06/20 – Detroit, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre
- 06/21 – Cleveland, OH – Blossom Music Center
- 06/22 – Cincinnati, OH – Riverbend Music Center
- 06/24 – Boston, MA – Xfinity Center
- 06/25 – Wantagh, NY – Nikon At Jones Beach Theater
- 06/27 – Holmdel, NJ – PNC Bank Arts Center
- 07/07 – Atlanta, GA – Chastain Park Amphitheatre
- 07/10 – Austin, TX – Austin360 Amphitheater
- 07/11 – Dallas, TX – Gexa Energy Pavilion
- 07/12 – Houston, TX – Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
- 07/14 – Tampa, FL – MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre
- 07/15 – West Palm Beach, FL – Cruzan Amphitheater
- 07/17 – Charlotte, NC – PNC Music Pavilion
- 07/19 – Raleigh, NC – Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
- 07/21 – Washington, DC – Wolftrap
- 07/22 – Washington, DC – Wolftrap
- 07/23 – Philadelphia, PA – Susquehanna Bank Center
- 07/25 – Saratoga Springs, NY – Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- 07/26 – Uncasville, CT – Mohegan Sun Arena
- 07/28 – Montreal, QC – Bell Centre
- 07/30 – Toronto, ON – Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
- 07/31 – London, ON – Budweiser Gardens
- 08/02 – Bethel, NY – Bethel Woods Center For The Arts
Superstars Lionel Richie and John Farnham will perform in a co-headlining tour with their own bands across Australia & New Zealand in March 2014 with tickets going on sale on 10am Friday 29th November.
Lionel Richie and John Farnham promises to be a unique, not-to-be-missed concert event. Witness these two incredible performers singing all the hits — old, new and reimagined.
Click Read More for official tour dates!
AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND TOUR DATES
SWAN VALLEY – MARCH 2 – SANDALFORD WINERY
ADELAIDE – MARCH 5 – ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE
HUNTER VALLEY – MARCH 8 – TEMPUS WINERY HUNTER VALLEY
BRISBANE – MARCH 10 – ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE
SYDNEY – MARCH 13 – ALLPHONES ARENA
MELBOURNE – MARCH 16 – ROD LAVER ARENA
CHRISTCHURCH – THURSDAY MARCH 20 – CBS ARENA
NEW PLYMOUTH – SATURDAY MARCH 22 – BOWL OF BROOKLANDS
AUCKLAND – SUNDAY MARCH 23 – VECTOR ARENA
Lionel Richie is on the road with a show that powers through the vast majority of his many hits.
The All the Hits All Night Long Tour opened on September 21 in Atlantic City, NJ and runs through October 18 at the Hollywood Bowl.
Included in the 27-song evening are ten songs from his days with the Commodores, 16 from his solo career and one cover. So thorough was the set list that Richie only missed one of his 22 top ten hits (Love Will Conquer All from 1986).
The set list has stayed constant over the first two weeks of the tour.
- Just for You (from Just For You, 2004)
- Penny Lover (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- Easy (from the Commodores Album The Commodores, 1977)
- My Love (from Lionel Richie, 1982)
- Ballerina Girl (from Dancing on the Ceiling, 1986)
- You Are (from Lionel Richie, 1982)
- Truly (from Lionel Richie, 1982)
- Endless Love (from the Endless Love soundtrack, 1981)
- Running with the Night (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- Still (from the Commodores Album Midnight Magic, 1979)
- Oh No (from the Commodores Album In the Pocket, 1981)
- Stuck On You (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- Dancing on the Ceiling (from Dancing on the Ceiling, 1986)
- Three Times a Lady (from the Commodores Album Natural High, 1978)
- Love Will Find a Way (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- The Only One (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- Sail On (from the Commodores Album Midnight Magic, 1979)
- Fancy Dancer (from the Commodores Album The Commodores, 1977)
- Sweet Love (from the Commodores Album Movin’ On, 1975)
- Lady (You Bring Me Up) (from the Commodores Album In the Pocket, 1981)
- Just to be Close to You (from the Commodores Album Hot on the Tracks, 1976)
- Say You, Say Me (from Dancing on the Ceiling, 1986)
- Brick House (from the Commodores Album The Commodores, 1977)
- Fire (Ohio Players cover)
- Hello (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- All Night Long (All Night) (from Can’t Slow Down, 1983)
- We Are the World (single, 1985)
Madonna will have some stiff competition on the charts in the coming weeks with legendary music sensation Lionel Richie re-releasing his greatest hits on new album Tuskegee with a country music twist. Just watch this trailer and you will see exactly where I am coming from. Lionel Legend!