Cher opened her 2014 Dressed to Kill Tour on Saturday night at the U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix, AZ.
The singer, who will play 49 shows over the coming months, was in her normal full regalia with multiple costume and set changes along with a lot of off-the-cuff comedic patter between numbers.
The set list covered 49 years of music, going back to the Sonny and Cher hits I Got You Babe (sung with a projected video of Sonny) and The Beat Goes On up through four songs from her latest album, Closer to the Truth. She covered all of the phases of her career including the 1970’s TV star (Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves, Half Breed, Dark Lady), her late 80’s resurgence (I Found Someone, If I Could Turn Back Time, Just Like Jesse James) and the late 90’s comeback with her biggest hit (Believe).
Every song in the 20-selection set, with the exception of Dressed to Kill and Welcome to Burlesque were former singles but, in a half century career, a few things need to be left out. Missing were the top ten hits You Better Sit Down Kids (1967), The Way of Love (1972), Take Me Home (1979) and After All (1989) along with the Sonny & Cher songs Baby Don’t Go (1964), All I Ever Need is You (1971) and A Cowboy’s Work is Never Done (1972).
The set list:
- Woman’s World (from Closer to the Truth, 2013)
- Strong Enough (from Believe, 1998)
- Dressed to Kill (from Closer to the Truth, 2013)
- The Beat Goes On (from Sonny & Cher’s In Case You’re In Love, 1967)
- I Got You Babe (from Sonny & Cher’s Look at Us, 1965)
- Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves (from Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves, 1971)
- Dark Lady (from Dark Lady, 1974)
- Half Breed (from Half Breed, 1973)
- Welcome to Burlesque (from Burlesque: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2010)
- You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me (from Burlesque: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2010)
- Take It Like a Man (from Closer to the Truth, 2013)
- Walking in Memphis (from It’s a Man’s World, 1995)
- Just Like Jesse James (from Heart of Stone, 1989)
- Heart of Stone (from Heart of Stone, 1989)
- The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s in His Kiss) (from the soundtrack for Mermaids, 1990)
- Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (from The Sonny Side of Cher, 1966)
- I Found Someone (from Cher, 1987)
- If I Could Turn Back Time (from Heart of Stone, 1989)
- Believe (from Believe, 1998)
- I Hope You Find It (from Closer to the Truth, 2013)