Chicago, who is recognized at the biggest American recording group of all time, has toured with the likes of the Beach Boys, the Doobie Brothers and Earth Wind and Fire over the summers of the past decade or so.
This year, they will be on the road with REO Speedwagon for a 15-date summer tour put on by Live Nation, taking them through a number of major U.S. metropolitan areas. The tour starts August 2 in Phoenix, AZ and runs through August 31 in Dallas, TX.
Chicago’s Robert Lamm talked about the two groups. “It’s ironic, that these two legendary bands, who both have roots in Illinois, were label-mates (Columbia/Epic) in the 70’s, and experienced waves of immense success in the 80’s and 90’s, and have somehow continued to consistently make compelling music, both in-studio and on tour…. have never before performed together! This situation is about to change, as Chicago and REO will perform together during the concert’s encore and present a finale that will thrill their audiences. As a musician who has always respected REO’s skills, I look forward to our first rehearsals early this summer. This will be fun!”
Kevin Cronin of REO added “With so many personal connections between various members of REO and Chicago, it is amazing that we have never actually toured together. I love it that the Chicago guys feel the way we do about truly playing together when you tour together. Can you imagine the Chicago horn section on Roll With the Changes? That would blow my mind! This tour promises to deliver some unique music from two bands who have made a ton of hit records, share that Midwest work ethic, and still refuse to sit back on their past accomplishments. We both keep raising the bar, challenging ourselves, and rocking hard… and the audience is the ultimate winner. We are psyched… I can’t wait for this tour.”
Between the two groups, they have had 25 top ten hits (21 for Chicago and 4 for REO), five number ones (If You Leave Me Now, Hard to Say I’m Sorry and Look Away for Chicago, Keep On Loving You and Can’t Fight This Feeling for REO) and 15 top ten albums (12 for Chicago and 3 for REO) including six number ones (Chicago V, VI, VII, VIII and IX: Greatest Hits for Chicago and High Infidelity for REO).
- August 2 – Phoenix, AZ – Comerica Theater
- August 4 – Denver, CO – Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- August 7 – Kansas City, MO – Starlight Theatre
- August 10 – Indianapolis, IN – Klipsch Music Center
- August 12 – Detroit, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre
- August 13 – Cincinnati, OH – Riverbend Music Center
- August 15 – Hartford, CT – XFINITY Theatre
- August 16 – Holmdel, NJ – PNC Bank Arts Center
- August 17 – Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
- August 19 – Saratoga Springs, NY – Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- August 20 – Boston, MA – Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
- August 22 – Atlantic City, NJ – Borgata Events Center
- August 23 – Raleigh, NC – Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
- August 24 – Atlanta, GA – Chastain Park Amphitheatre (on sale TBA)
- August 31 – Dallas, TX – Gexa Energy Pavilion (on sale January 24)